Sunday, December 30, 2007

Back in Christchurch

So I was the only one in the tour that didn't plan anything for after the tour. But no worries everything worked out. I grabbed the last bed at the YHA for 2 nights. I just spent the last 45 minutes with one of the girls at the front desk trying to find a car in christchurch... she was my savor and found what I think is the last car in Christchurch and she also booked my ferry trip to the north island. So I'm back on track. I just didn't book any of the campsites yet. But I will see what happens when the time comes.
So I'm back in Christchurch. I went back to the Bog the irish bar and hung out in with the British couple I met. Jonny the bartender remembered me and I met some of the other workers, which I don't think one of them was a Kiwi.
Anyway...
Since the last time I wrote we went to Milford sound which was spectacular. We drove in when the weather was nice and clear so we could see in the mountains and the next day for our sea kayaking trip it was raining. The Fjordlands are truly the land of a 1000 waterfalls (during the ~250+ rainy days - and we thought it rained alot in Seattle). After Fjordland we went to Mt Cook national Park hiking. The southern Alps are wonderful. Actually that isn't the right word but I don't think there is a right word to describe the beauty of the South Alps. You can try to find the word...
The view from Key Summit, Fjordland

Fjordland, Milford Sound in the rain

The south Alps and tarn


Bob just for you Jamie

So that is it for now. I will be camping for the next 2 weeks and will try to get to a town to email. I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year. I only have about 12 hours to go.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy New Years Nee!

Jamie said...

I love Bob! It sounds like you are having so much fun!!

Jamie said...

I found Orion’s brush over the weekend - that was the highlight! We borrowed The Dark Crystal – is that really the same guy who brought us Kermit The Frog!! Everything is good at your place. Your kittens asked me to remind you about the kangaroo.