Monday, December 24, 2007

Happy/Merry Christmas

So much has happened since the last time I wrote. It's Christmas and a free day for us here at Queenstown. Since the last time I wrote we have been driving down the west coast of NZ. We have kayaked in a brackish lagoon (very cool), we had a big Christmas feast with a sort of pink elephant exchange at this really nice small (pop. 33) town. We taken varies hikes to beautiful spots in NZ one was to Josef Franz (i think that is the name) glacier. This glacier is approximately 20 km long, a few km deep and the terminal face is at about 180 meters above sea level (~360 ft). The glacier was amazing. It had just had a huge cave in and blow out so the glacial ice was all over the river bed.
Now on to the more recent things that I can remember:
Yesterday we arrived in Queenstown and we were all able to do what ever activity we wanted. I went horseback riding in this beautiful braided river valley ( the dart valley). I rode bob who was the biggest horse I have ever rode in my live. His back was as high as my head.
This morning (Christmas morning) 7 of us plus our guides (2) went river boarding which is basically white water rafting on a body board. It was one of the most in tense experiences I have ever had. The rapids where crazy and would just suck you down.
Tomorrow we head farther south to bike and do a bit more hiking then we get to go to the beautiful Milford sound.

I hope everyone has a wonderful, safe and happy christmas and new year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas love!
My mom made 2 cookies this year, surprising! Choc Chip(for dad) and polish pretzels. that made me think of you... XOXO Sherry